You may be able to claim deductions for your work-related expenses. These are expenses you incur to earn your income as a bus driver.
To claim a deduction for a work-related expenses:
- you must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
- the expense must directly relate to earning your income
- you must have a record to prove it (usually a receipt).
You can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion of an expense. You can’t claim a deduction for any part of an expense that is not directly related to earning your income or that is private.
You can use the myDeductions tool in the ATO app to help keep track of your work-related expenses. It’s an easy way to capture information on the go and makes tax time quicker. You can upload expenses to your tax return. If you lodge your tax return with a tax agent:
- they can access your uploaded data through their practice management software, or
- you can email a copy to them from the app.
For a summary of common deductions, see Bus drivers’ deductions (PDF, 1.0MB)This link will download a file.
(Bus drivers – income and work-related deductions, 2021)
Ato.gov.au. 2021. Bus drivers – income and work-related deductions. [online] Available at: <https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Occupation-and-industry-specific-guides/Bus-drivers—income-and-work-related-deductions/?anchor=Deductions#Deductions> [Accessed 15 February 2021].